To look for the benefits of music therapy I have based myself on this review. Its results, supported by scientific studies, can be summarized as follows:
- Physical symptoms of cancer: Music therapy reduces the intensity of the patient’s pain and the need for opiates (analgesic medications such as morphine). It also facilitates the feeling of having control over the pain. In other words: the patient knows that he has resources to reduce pain when he wants to do so Reiki certification.
- Side effects of treatment: Digestive symptoms (nausea and vomiting) decrease. They are also reduced when they are conditioned, that is, when they occur before treatment because the patient anticipates them (for example, when approaching the hospital).< /span>
- Health and quality of life: The immune system is strengthened and the general quality of life improves.
- Psychological symptoms: Facilitates the expression of emotions, concerns and fears. Reduces anxiety and stress and improves sleep. It may also reduce anxiety before radiation therapy. Helps relaxation and improves mood. It allows a feeling of peace and balance of emotions, even when the patient is in palliative treatment. In children with cancer it benefits self-esteem and facilitates acceptance of the disease, while reducing anxiety in their caregivers.
- Relationships with other people: Music therapy helps to improve the relationship between patients and family members (sometimes difficult situations occur a> in this sense). On the other hand, it generates positive opinions in those who practice it.
- Benefits for health professionals: Strengthens hope and facilitates relaxation in the face of stress. Symptoms of anxiety and depression, as well as blood pressure, decrease. Promotes the expression of emotions and feelings and improves communication. In palliative care professionals, it facilitates the grieving processes.